PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Info on the Comet Smiths Flight director system
Old 24th Jul 2008, 18:41
40&80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info on the Comet Smiths Flight director system

I completed a Comet ground school and Comet simulator course with Dan Air in the autumn of 1973 but never did the flight training as the course was cancelled on Christmas eve...somethying to do with the Arabs putting up the price of fuel.
I along with another HS748 F/o never received any instruction on the Smiths flight director system as it was all part of an RAF plot to give our seats to ex RAF Comet pilots waiting at the labour exchange...we were being programmed to simply fail the course which the union had insisted we went on.
I understand RAF and BEA and BOAC pilots got several days of dedicated instruction on this thing as it could get people confused.
I wonder if anyone could post me a link or provide the material I need to read to at last get a handle on this piece of equipment and understand how it was all supposed to work before I die!
For my sins I refused the Dan Air recall for the restarted course in Feb1974 having decided to join GF in Bahrain who were less concerned about fuel...but having flown the DC3 I was sad to miss out on flying the Comet but I really enjoyed the GF/ BA training on the L1011 and the LVP training in 1976. Fate is the hunter.