PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats Next!!
Thread: Whats Next!!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2008, 08:08
Propellerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Shrike

Sorry - can't cut 'n paste from the pdf's on CAA's website. Go to the website, under Licensing and Examinations, there is a link to Regulations. Then go to Subpart 13 and read SACATS-FCL 61 - 13 and following. Was copied analog from the JAA regulations for type ratings. These regulations have been in force from Jan2008.

I went in to CAA yesterday to check up and make sure. One of the things I did not have was the HPA certifacte. I spoke to the testing standards officer, he was very helpful in explaining what needs to be done for initial type ratings. If you go and do any training, make shure that whoever you are doing the rating with knows exactly what is required and that the course has been approved by the SACAA . Every ATO must have a syllabus which is approved by the SACAA! As far as I have been told, the HPA training and certificate is part of 43's groundschool programm and has therefore been approved by SACAA if you have completed the whole course. Training or getting a type rating without an ATO which has been specifically approved to do the course is no longer an option. There are many ATOs (e.g. operator/charter companies and even DE's with their own ATO) out there and all of them have differences and that is what makes it very confusing. Another Example: If an ATO has been approved of providing a groundschool and trainging on the aircraft, but has not been approved to provide simulator training - then you will now have to do 7.5 hrs on the aircraft itself.

Be aware that all of the above applys to pilots who want to get their initial Turbine Rating or Type Ratings by Name in general. The HPA certificate is a once off thing - once you have a HPA aircraft on your license, you will not need it again. If you have all of your ATP theory exams, this also includes HPA syllabus and therefor you would be exempt.

Last edited by Propellerpilot; 24th Jul 2008 at 08:19.