PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you get bitten by the aviation-virus?
Old 6th Aug 2001, 17:57
NigelS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the aviation bug ever since I can remember. My dad had flown on Vanguards in the sixties and had retained a keen interest in aircraft. My parents would take me to the airport just to see aircraft fly over. We never had any money and even though my dad would have been keen to fund my flying, he simply could not afford it. At school my ambition took a severe knock when I had an attack of honesty after the teacher asked us all to say what we wanted to do with our lives. Of course my ambition was met with hysterical laughter and I was teased for a long time. I left school and did not try and realise the dream sadly and went from job to job. I got O-levels and then A-levels well after school by attending evening classes. Eventually I went to University to do a Science degree. The flying bug started over when someone bought me a flying lesson.. I thought I could do it all but still couldn't afford it. I could't afford to go to fund a cadetship and for some reason didn't think I had a chance at the sponsorship (funding my part of it would have been tremendously tough too). I applied for the RAF but didn't get in.. The bug waned again as I started a series of jobs for which I was qualified. In my PhD I was doing experimental pathology (don't ask.. you don't want to know!) and that got me into pharmacueticals. I moved on to head up molecular pathology in a big pharma company and then took a new direction this year to become a marketing director. Last year I completed around half of the minimum hours for the PPL. The bug returned.
Now, earlier this year I attended a twenty year reunion of my old school. One of my friends told my wife "all he ever spoke about back then was being an airline pilot". She replied "that's all he talks about now". At the same time I took another look at the route and discovered the modular route. Anyway to cut what's already a long story a bit shorter, we sat down and talked about making it so, finally. My wife and I realised that although I've had some pretty high profile jobs in my career, I've never been happy, never had a decent appraisal (really) and all because... there's only one thing I truly want to do. Fortunately we can afford it now and there's a long road ahead. Also, whatever job I get at the end (if any) will be a severe drop in salary. I just know I'll be happy though.
There's just one thing I wish I had.. Your youth! I have arsed around for too many years dreaming but not doing. Almost doing then letting others get to me enough to abandon the dream. You're only in your early 20's, you know what you want, and you're going for it. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

All the best

Nigel