PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raised Blood Pressure
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 14:51
Grayfly

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
Very relevant thread for me today. At my last Class2 medical the doc thought I had a 'white coat' reaction re BP and suggested I monitor it. I did for about 8 months and it was up and down, when up it was about 165, when down it was around 130. I began to get too many ups and went to my GP. She measured and again it was up at 165. Blood was taken.

Today, after waiting 6 weeks, finally got results. My normally normal cholestrol is up and my bp is still up. Based on my age (56) and family history of high BP and high cholestrol, she strongly advised medication for both. The usual drugs for these things. It was a bit of a shock as up until now was the picture of health etc. Don't smoke, exercise and eat healthy diet.

Now got the drugs, and somehow a bit reluctant to take them. Still thinking, this can't be right, must be another way to overcome this.

It would appear that once I start taking these drugs, there is a two week period in which I should not fly to ensure no adverse side effects and then a further check.

Anyway I have a weekend of flying ahead, so the drugs can wait till Monday.

A relevant, cautionary thread. It can happen to even 'healthy' specimens.