PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Canada
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 13:38
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Wrathchild666,

There are other options for your flying enjoyment, in the Toronto area. It depends upon where you stay, and how you're getting around.
A good idea would be to drive north out of Toronto, and rent a plane, and fly further north. An hour of driving + hour of flying = really beautiful scenery.

Though caring, some of the information offered to here is not entirely correct. In particular, Niagara falls area has many restrictions. Unless you're staying in St. Catherines, your flying dollar can be spent very well seeing other Ontario scenery. That being said, as long as you're not flying close to Toronto International Airport (which is a boring part of the city anyway), flying is pretty free and easy.

Though I am not an expert on the licensing aspects (it is easily learned by enquiry at Transport Canada), I can offer some other helpful suggestions if you like. Feel free to PM me.

Ontario will offer you excellent flying opportunities, and generally very good weather. During my two week stay in Edinburgh, I never did get the conditions required to go flying, so I gave up!

By the way, Yes, Pipers are excellent planes, though Cessnas are much more common. One of the reasons is the Piper wingtips can be rather challenged by winter snowbanks. Cessna wing pass over them!

Cheers Pilot DAR