PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 12:37
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to see you're still around, Terrier.

I know the airport is a business and is there to make money but I feel it is in danger of losing public goodwill in the way it is trying to achieve this.

First the £1 for a luggage trolley, now the Weston Mercury reports that from 5 August passengers will be able to pay a fiver to go through a fast-track security channel - see below link. I have not read a denial from the airport.

I am retired and my wife and I are the sort of people with time and the means to travel for leisure that airports and airlines would want because we don't necessarily always look for the cheapest flight - if the date and destination suits us we will travel.

We have supported BRS loyally and regularly for thirty years and still fly fairly frequently on leisure trips, sometimes even on day trips.

However, we have both become wearisome of the aviation environment in recent times - the security hassle including what you can and can't take, queues and wondering that if a return flight is cancelled (especially with locos, the main carriers at BRS) whether you will be left to fend for yourself at a foreign airport.

So much so that we are holidaying in Switzerland this year and travelling out and back by train when normally we would have flown which would in fact have been considerably cheaper.

We haven't completely given up on air travel or BRS but if the airport carries on with its what to us are money-grabbing measures we may review our outlook. It's not the amount - we could well afford a fiver each if we felt the need to be fast-tracked - but the principle.

I accept this is a personal view but I suspect that others in our position may think likewise.

I shall let the airport management have my opinion on the reported security initiative as soon as they are announced officially.

The Weston Mercury - Passengers to fly through security queues