PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Captain gets the boot
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 11:27
LYKA

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Let me repeat what I thought I said on many previous posts. First, the stabilised approach is the nexus of any discussion of procedure and process at the airline. The people of our airline have spent more time cussing and discussing the stabilised approach than any other facet of our flight operation. They are more committed to the collective vision of what we all know characterises a stabilised approach. Face it, we are not trying to describe a sunset to a blind man. We all should know when an approach is stabilised and when it is not.

Second, we will probably never get the language quite ‘right.’ It is a compromise of perspectives – and like all compromises, it is viewed as equally imperfect and objectionable in opposite directions by both viewpoints.

Thirdly, Whatever your reason, I ask you, in the future, lets limit our sarcasm and attacks to our haircuts and not distort the facts of this very important subject.

Fuel - Do you feel/think/know we are burning more fuel with the procedures?

- It is operationally irrelevant whether each of us ‘think’ we are burning more or not. The question is answered by empirical fact and determined by our actual fuel burn, not by what each of us think. I cannot spend money that I ‘think’ is in my wallet. I can only spend what I actually have. Let the bean counters answer this question.

lastly, Our boss, has set the standard at 1000 feet, i.e. "Should". If you can convince him to change the language and remove the MUST to SHOULD by 500 feet, be my guest. Until then, 1000 feet is it, not 950 or lower. If you don’t like 1000 feet, the problem is not with the OM.

If you disagree with their solution, then sadly you disagree. I am afraid that's life! In the end, you STILL have to manage your aircraft to arrive stabilised at 1000 feet.

Let’s “get real” here. Is there anything in the OM that prevents you from flying a stabilised approach by 1000? Is there anything that keeps you from meeting that standard? I’m sorry that this continues to be the nut that you break your teeth on.

Lets not beat each other up on this - in the words of Jerry Springer "Take care of yourselves and each other"!

Last edited by LYKA; 23rd Jul 2008 at 15:13.