PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of speed brakes in flight
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 10:13
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations! You've managed to convince a young enthusiast that if he ever sees the SB used, it's because of pilot incompetence!!!!
Blubber's got it right. I stressed that it was pilot incompetence or ATC requirements! I get into a sulk not because SB is used, but the descent was misflown to get into that situation. A second major error is to overuse SB 'just in case' knowing level flight will be needed with power later on. Some pilots don't realise that although it doesn't inherently use fuel itself, it causes extra fuel to be used at some stage. So it is an admission that 'I am a little not up to my descent planning!' The whole idea is stretching your glide out as long as possible and being a fuel miser....which is what I am, out of duty to my employer's bottom line, and not being wasteful.

Colsie, going into the Greek Islands is not only wonderfully scenic, but rapid descents are needed requiring SB several times. You came over Kephallonia which has an airport of its own and BIG mountains, so that was the need for the SB.