PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 year old's first flight
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 07:55
Gibon2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should be no problems with a short flight like this - your kiddie will likely be excited and fascinated by all the goings on (my 18-month old daughter loves airports more than anything else in the world - so much to look at, busy people everywhere).

If you're taking a pushchair/buggy, check with the airline what the arrangements are. Some let you take the buggy right to the door of the aircraft, and then give it back to you at the door when you disembark. This is very convenient. Others take it at the door, but return it with the other baggage at the carousel. Others still make you check the buggy in with the rest of your luggage, and struggle with your toddler around the airport (I avoid these ones). More buggy details, along with surprisingly passionate debate, on this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/passeng...-delivery.html

You'll need the all the usual toddler equipment - change of clothes, nappies, wipes, dummy, toys, books, small treats, etc - with spares of crucial items, preferably carried by each parent separately. Also a good idea to have something to suck (e.g. sweet, dummy) on to relieve ears during the air pressure changes during climb and descent.

In my experience, CC and other passengers are typically helpful and patient - please don't abuse this by imposing your child on them more than necessary, or demanding special treatment. Beware of behaviour such as kicking the back of the seat in front that may seem like innocent fun to the toddler, but is deeply irritating to the person in the seat. Some of your fellow passengers will be only too happy to be approached by your child for a chat; others will prefer to be left alone and won't want sticky fingers anywhere near them. Be sensitive and vigilant about this.

Sometimes kids will cry, and there's not much to be done about it. CC are generally sympathetic, and will do what they can to help. Other passengers will - on the whole - be understanding (if not delighted) provided you are seen to be actively trying to do something to soothe the infant.

Good luck - I'm sure it will be fine.