PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ‘the world's five star airline'
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2008, 19:12
kotakota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to my local rag today ( not overfar from the Empty Quarter ) , some dude called 'Backer' or somesuch , says that Qatar have 60 hulls and 200 odd on order ? So , by my estimate , there will be 2 airlines bigger than BA in the Gulf in a few years . Problem is , that BA have 60 million locals to tempt ( admittedly with much competition ) and a large European and American clientele that still think BA is the best/safest etc . Where are those numbers in the Gulf ? and BA have proved recently that despite their seemingly non-stop problems / strikes etc , can still cut the mustard and make a profit - make that HUGE profit ,( jet fuel price excepted , but what is their Hedge Price ? ), and they WILL weather the storm without the aid of subsidised jet-fuel that all ME carriers enjoy .
BA's biggest problem is their cabin crew , or more correctly , their union.
The Gulf airlines do not have that problem . No unions , keen young things from 'poor' countries etc , so no doubt a better experience for the pax.
Qatar Airways is built on sand and oil , I have yet to hear of anybody going there on holiday. They are entirely focused on 'through ' traffic .
Check back in 20 years , let us see who is still standing / popular.