PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - International Jumpseating
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2008, 15:00
Kenny

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
FlySaab,

Unfortunately, you're not going to get too many qualified responses from guys who don't work for a US 121 carrier. Jumpseating, as you know it, is unheard of out side of the US. The concept that you can just turn up at the departure gate as an FAR121 pilot and get a seat for free, let alone in the flightdeck itself, will be met will disbelief by guys working for non-US carriers.

Most overseas airlines only allow crew members to travel once they've purchased a staff discounted ticket. Some do allow crew members to travel in the flightdeck jumpseat but only after they've bought said ticket. CX is one, for example.

With most of the legacy carriers scaling back the amount of flying they're doing, you're best bet for getting around for free are the cargo airlines....Kalitta, Polar, Atlas and Evergreen. They go pretty much everywhere in the world and don't charge you a penny for the privilege. Atlas and Polar will treat you very well and feed you to the point of bursting. If you don't mind taking your chances with the rest of the un-washed masses, contact your staff travel dept. and see if you have ZED agreements with any of the overseas carriers. I ZED on QF every year when I go home and it's costs me US$45 each way from SYD-BNE!

Last edited by Kenny; 22nd Jul 2008 at 18:02.