PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Technology With Pilot Studies
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2008, 12:21
gfunc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to be negative (this is pprune after all!) but after looking over the course syllabus this reeks of a mickey mouse degree. In the first year a compulsory module is PPL theory - sixteen year old kids on the RAF scholarships can ace these exams after a night of cramming. The rest of the three years seems quite close to the ATPL syllabus, but it shouldn't take three years to do something that others do in two whilst working a full-time job.

A key giveaway is that its from the faculty of engineering at a UK university. You may or not be aware, but a lot of engineering departments are closing or under threat of closure in the UK in this new age of fee based courses. They simply don't attract enough students and therefore course fees to justify their cost to the university. The solution is to invent some highly popular degree (e.g. Football engineering) that is a solid revenue stream.

The department where I work (albeit in the US) started a 'broadcast meteorology' course a few years back which was heavily subscribed and a real money spinner for the university. It was essentially a taught class of PPL Met with 'gee whiz' pictures and touchy-feely theatre classes. The problem came after the first lot had graduated, none of them got jobs in TV/radio since they had a shallow knowledge of meteorology. Instead the jobs went to the normal meteorology graduates. Word got back to the current crop of first year students (undergrads in US don't 'declare their major' until the second year for some odd reason) and enrollment dropped to zero. We no longer have this program.

If you want to study ATPL theory, buy the books and do it in your spare time. If you want to go to university, pick a 'proper' degree with real career prospects based on your interests and skills. Don't make the mistake of a half-arsed attempt at both at the same time as there are no short cuts and it'll hurt you in the long run.

Again, sorry to be so negative, I'm not trying to insult any of you or your aspirations, but I work closer to the other end of university courses and this course seems like a poor deal.

Cheers,

Gareth.