PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Technology With Pilot Studies
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2008, 10:55
greenfreddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why?

A cynic regarding the benefits of a modern degree at the best of times, I can't help but question why anyone would want to waste 3 years of their lives on pre-entry training for a profession that ultimately has no pre-entry requirements (aside from the obvious industry demanded qualifications).

If you need ammunition to pass entry exams for CTC et al, why not just go for a Duke of Edinburgh award - you'll find it a quicker and significantly cheaper option. Or for that matter why not join the air cadets (and get some free flying to boot).

Ultimately, in my view, should the airline dream go belly up, your investment will go as far as every other graduate's in so far as warranting a junior office job for 16K per year (pretty well as much as a capable school leaver might expect). Lets face it, nowadays a degree is part of the job description for the most mundane of jobs.

The number of 18 year olds going through the saussage factory are testament to the requirement for this sort of evidence of commitment (i.e. there is no requirement at all). As has been mentioned already, the "mandatory" training is costly enough, let alone considering adding the costs of a university education to the total. It might just be that credit conditions in the future preclude banks from lending further (seriously large) sums to individuals already up to their eyeballs in debt.

In other words, if you want a crack at being a pilot, get stuck in now. Get your parents, grandparents, parents' friends, teachers and anyone else you can to grill you on the obvious questions, (if you really want it, you'll have picked up as much info as you need from the internet, papers, books etc.). Walk into the interviews confident and hit the ground running. Before you know it you'll be solo in a light aircraft and then...who knows.