PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 609 Crew Licencing
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2008, 10:29
S70IP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vtol 609

Hi guys,

CASA (Australia) changed the ATPL(H) syllabus a few years ago and included some fixed wing systems in the course. For example pressurization. The anticipation is that the 609 will require a ATPL(H) to fly it due to the critical landing phase when the transformation occurs (vortex ring state etc).
In the cruise a helicopter/ fixed wing is the same (except flapback and the TAS I guess). Anyway its been assessed that the knowledge of a helicopter pilot is more important.
Having flown twin turbine helicopters for 12 years and recently (2006) transfered to twin engine turbine fixed wing, helicopters are a much more demanding airframe to fly and manage. I also hold both ATPL(H) and (A) now and have flown out to oil rigs. I believe with the cost of oil increasing oil companies will be drilling in deeper and deeper water. This means further out to sea. With the increase in automation the rigs will need less and less personel. The 609 is perfect for this scenario. The V22 might be reborn in a civilian version which doesn't have the folding wings etc. The aircraft will be lighter, and less complicated making them attractive and affordable (with the high oil price) to companies. Give the V22 ten years of service and have all of the mods and STI's completed the safety record will improve. Oil Union's will accept the aircraft and the days of the Chinook in the north sea will be reborn with the modern version.
Thought's?