PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orlando Flight Training
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2001, 06:01
Pax-man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Benn,

TVs and cars also used to be a luxury, so let's have a reality check. As times move on, so do people's expectations. And so should the service provided.

I count myself very fortunate to be able to see the world and fly a great deal in the process. But the last two long-haul charter flights I've been on (AIH & BY, as mentioned previously) simply took the p**s. It was worse than sitting in the back of a mini. I've flown on many such a flight before, but the space provided is decreasing by the year.

There's no doubt that such charter airlines are doing what they can to further profits, i.e. maximising the amount of seating in the cabin. People may not complain en-masse, but does that make it right??

Perish the thought, but if an aircraft configured with minimum pitch seating should ever have a major runway incident, then God help those on board.

It's correct that such 'budget' flying gets many people to places they might not otherwise go. Without wishing to sound condescending to such pax, ignorance is bliss. That is, until it backfires.

In ten years time, the goalposts will have moved considerably. And those airlines that do not adapt will suffer. Those pax who may be ignorant now will soon demand more. The more they travel, the more they will learn, and the more they will expect.

More airlines should follow the 'American' example. Why did they increase pitch? Because US citizens use air travel more, and are more 'sussed' as a result.

It's the reality of the modern world that the £/$ sign rules. People may be ignorant, but they are not stupid. Someone should give pax a better deal, and then they will see that the punters WILL pay for it.

Let's see the end of airborne 'charabangs'!