PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Made to go through the AMD with a pacemaker
Old 21st Jul 2008, 11:15
Davidsa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is alarming - I acquired a pacemaker earlier this year and use BOH/Hurn.

I hope the unfortunate gentleman is now getting better and will be able to have his holiday before too long.

I was under the impression that the detectors, while not desireable, would not stop the pacemaker but would set off the alarms unecessarily. Clearly I was mistaken - or maybe there are different sorts of pacemaker - and detectors.

For myself, I have been through BOH security twice in the past 2 months and had no difficulty at all; each time I was hand checked with efficiency and good humour.

Given the demographics of the Hurn catchment area one would imagine that they see several pacemakers every day. While by no means excusing what happened I wonder if there might have been a communication failure - did they really understand that he had a pacemaker? BOH now has - happily - many more flights but still only one queue feeding two baggage scanners - when 3 or 4 departing flights coincide (albeit only 737s) it can all get rather anxious and hectic.

Each time I made my predicament known at the first point of contact - the lady feeing my belongings into the scanner - who called the chap doing the check, and I was immediately ushered through.

Similarly, the pacemaker caused no problems at all on a trip to the USA, El Salvador and Mexico in April. It just took a little longer but everyone concerned clearly regarded pacemakers as routine. Only in El Salvador did they ask me to verify that I did indeed have a pacemaker, and then with courtesy. Some of the Americans were almost comic in their exagerated politeness.