PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZY Captain gets the boot
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2008, 11:09
albertofdz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm affraid a disagree with Airbrake and LYKA! Let me explain my self!

It occurs that even though i strongly beleive SOPS are designed to be followed at all times, we may also divert from them in the scenarios I posted on the previous one. When I stated that the crew felt fresh, I obviously meant both, CRM.........

I beleive that if a first officer allows his captain to make a visual, or divert from an SOP when he doesn't feel comfortable, that is a very dangerous and irresponsible thing for the FO to do, obviously if anything goes wrong he will be "out of the loop" and that is the real danger, not the fact that a visual approach is being flown.

About the NRL report, well, apparantely a DC10 glided over the threshold at nearly 40 kts above VREF, if i´m not mistaken my thoughts were about croosing the threshold at the proper speed power setting and path, wit NO exception.

In order to cross the threshold with these parameters, the approach configuration MUST be started at a suitable distance, 10 DME or so is what I beleive i suggested, right?

If you made a mistake and at 10DME your too fast to lower flaps, there is still time to conduct the rest of the approach in a safe maner, IE LOWER THE GEAR!

If you are still too fast or unstabilised, I agree G/A!

I don't mean to go against anyone or cause an arguement, all i'm saying is that some companies are to harsh and they don't let the box "think out of the box". What will happen when multiple malfunctions occur? Are the pilots still to expected to follow certain procedures? Is this always appropriate?

As you can see, dear forum readers, there is much more into flying than SOPS.

Just to remind: Feeling fresh, comfortable, good conditions...... go ahead and even if you fly a bus, enjoy the bus.

ANd just one last thing, lets all remember that there are 2 of us in the flight deck, desitions are made together that is why the pair of us are put into the pit. If you feel unhappy with something, say it, and dont allow your collegue to put you in a delicate situation.

PS, I thought this needed not be mentioned, though since a CRM factor (even common sense if you like) was pulled out in an earlier post, this is my honest reply.

Please, no hard feelings, its just my opinion!