PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Speedy Boarding Scam
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2008, 10:24
BurglarsDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have flown about 30 times this year with EJ; UK - Prague RTN. Normally with hand luggage only. Initially I perceived some advantage, so purchased EB. But, soon learnt that if you queued near the gate as a class A boarder (i.e internet check in or first 30 at the desk I think) then you still got basically the same choice of seat without the additional expense. For me, (without luggage), the first few rows (aisle) are always preferable as this option allows me a rapid exit to beat any queue at customs / hire car desk etc.
However if you are traveling with check in luggage then EB may be worth buying because at some airports it gives you access to a priority Speedy check in desk. At Prague for example while there is often a queue snaking out the door from the standard check in desk, there is often no one in the Speedy Boarding check in queue. Handy tip if you are going to arrive at the airport only about 1 hr before the flight.
All this said I think non allocated seating adds a lot of unnecessary stress and confusion at the gate. Jetstar tried the same model in Oz without the SB element and eventually went to allocated seating. The best model I have tried is with Tomsonfly whereby you select and pay for your seat accordingly on line. No need to stand in line at the gate as your seat is confirmed - and all for a fiver! If you want the extra leg room afforded by front row or Emergency exit seats then you pay for it. In fact with about 18 premium seats available on an A319, EJ may be better off charging for this service instead of implementing SB. Whilst on EJ dont ever travel overweight. Its a nightmare to have to leave the check in Q, join another Q to pay the excess baggage charge at a service desk, and then finally rejoin the check in Q!

DogGone