PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Made to go through the AMD with a pacemaker
Old 21st Jul 2008, 09:38
EagleStar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made to go through the AMD with a pacemaker

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you may be able to help me with a problem that a relative has encountered as a result of airport security and that lead to a major health scare?

My girlfriend's grandad, who is 79 years old, recently went on holiday from Bournemouth Airport and even though he has a pacemaker, and mentioned that he had one at security, was made to go through the Archway Metal Detector (AMD) by security staff. This stopped his pacemaker and the next day he was admitted to hospital in Portugal. He remained there for 5 days before he was flown back to the UK free of charge by Palmair.

I want to know how to go about making a complaint / getting him compensation. He was obviously not in a good physical state as a result of being made to walk through the archway and potentially could have died had he not gone to hospital. Whilst Palmair were excellent in looking after him and getting him back to the UK Bournemouth Airport security seem to me to be at fault and completely negligent in their care for him. Having previously worked at several airports I know that persons fitted with pacemakers should not go through AMD's!

Does anyone know how I should procede with this? Whilst I know who operates the airport I am not sure how to file my complaint??? I don't like sensationalist journalists much but had considered maybe getting in touch with one or even ringing up one of those 'where there is blame there is a claim' companies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

EagleStar