PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EMAS Save at ORD
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2008, 23:45
doodahdave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overrun in ORD

We landed about 40 minutes after the Mexicana event.

We were told to expect a 20-30 minute hold. We got into the area and landed with minimal vectoring on 9R. The radar showed rainshowers in the area and the ramp and runway was wet upon arrival.

I consider the ATC crew at ORD to be some of the best with whom I have ever worked. Once I learned the system to taxiing around ORD from an American Eagle Captain friend, I found ORD much easier to understand.

Rule #1 - The Inner Taxiway (now Taxiway A) goes clockwise.

Rule #2 - The Outer Taxiway (now Taxiway B) goes counter-clockwise or anti-clockwise to the blokes!

Rule #3 - Never stop moving. You'll screw things up worse if you stop the airplane, better to keep moving around the airport.

And the most important rule of all:

Rule #4 - NEVER follow Mexicana anywhere.

He shared these rules with me about 15 years ago and I have found them to useful on many occasions.

That also reminds me of a TWA 747 my Dad (a former Air Wisconsin pilot) saw landing on 9R many years ago. The 747 was halfway down and was still 20 feet above the runway. The ORD controller asked,"Are you going to make it TWA??". The pilot's strained response was,"We're tryin'!!".

The 747 touched down soon after that and they made the left turn at the end, speed permitting.

Dave