PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 16th Jul 2008, 09:22
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
NOW, to recap what I think seems to have the poster calling him/her self james michael in a fluster. (I seem to have to keep repeating myself)

I have a concern that an ADS-B based ATC system, by relying on the GPS signals presents a danger to the future of Oz aviation, in that the GPS signal can be lost for any number of reasons.

Remove the GPS signal and we have NO ADS-B.

One scenario I have presented, is a small Buzz Bomb type device, possibly hundreds, launched from 500 plus miles off-shore and turning up here in Oz with better then 30 metres accuracy. Will we still want those GPS targetting signals being provided ?

Sunspots - GPS can be greatly affected by sun 'storms' or sunspots. We are currently in a sunspot lull, with the sunspot season, which lasts many years, about to get underway again.

At present, Australia currently has a good robust ATC system that has NO reliance on any one component - I think the QLD telephone dramas demonstraite all to well what can happen.

With the present system of aircraft transponders (non ADS-B) and aircraft fitted traffic aviodance systems (TAS), if the entire ATC system vanished, individual aircraft fitted with TAS will still be able to see other aircraft fitted with transponders. Large passenger jets currently have TAS installed. Most GA aircraft already have non ADS-B transponders fitted.

... and thats all for now, my one typing finger is wearing out