PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 15th Jul 2008, 12:03
Biggles_in_Oz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Binghi
My IFR aircraft also has a TAS fitted. Can you please explain to me how fitting yet another device to my aircraft will improve my safety in any way what-so-ever ? as Dick Smith wrote earlier, there is no quantifiable safety increase - just an extra system to maintain.
You, for your own (safety) reasons, chose to install that TAS system.
I, am quite happy to utilize the JCP subsidy to replace, repeat, replace my ancient mode-C transponder with a more modern one.

Ok., I'll have to fit (as an absolute minimum) a small TSO'd GPS engine, but WTF can go wrong with that ?, it either feeds the ADSB transponder with valid data or it doesn't, and testing that functionality would not be excessively hard to do in the field.,
I mean, it'd be basically something along the lines of ;
(a) if the GPS antenna can 'see the sky', does the GPS report a lat/long/altitude that is consistant with the current location of that antenna and of another external (reference) GPS unit.
(b) if the GPS antenna is electrically shaded, does it then produce an indication that the lan/lon/altitude data is now invalid or suspect.

The extra testing/maintenance is not onerous., it is just different.