PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 15th Jul 2008, 07:10
OZBUSDRIVER

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My submission was to voice an opinion against using ADS-B as a charging regime. This wasn't part of the JCP.

I am very aware of what AirServices think are the chances of blanketing the continent with uplinks to faciltate UAT operation as per the US. So, safe to say, it will not be under the Christmas tree any time soon.

My point then, and using XMWX services as the example. Even as big as the aviation industry is in the US, the guys who created the satellite weather service knew that aviation alone could not pay for the service and satellite. They created satellite subscription radio for the general population and used the funds created from this to cross-subsidise the aviation service. That view hasn't changed. There was a scientist from Charles darwin Uni that proposed using the mobile phone network for internet access to provide a similar facility as provided by XMWX. I have to say, the method does work. I have nav software with moving map and gps that uses the mobile network to download current radar images for the current position, provided there is mobile coverage and metrad coverage for the position.

JM, it is a fair bet that the low level rollout will be installation at busy regional aerodromes, especially those that USED to have a tower and especially around the mineral provinces in WA. Any aerodrome that has a Dash service or bigger and then any aerodrome that has a published approach.