PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 11th Jul 2008, 08:36
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd have to agree with Captainmidnight. Most posters just give up. For example: Dick wrote a lengthy post about why towers not owning airpsace was better, and why the way they do it in the States is better. It sounds perfectly reasonable (to a non-ATC). No-one challenged him. The reason- asked and answered, over and over, many times.
It is a different system to the one that has operated here for the last 50 years – since before radar. However to me it seems to be far safer and more “professional.”
It has been explained to Dick that whilst our system is 'different', it evolved that way out of efficiency. We just dont have the bodies that they do in the states. Their towers have their hands full just running those little bits of airspace and their multiple runways, even splitting down to individual controllers running 1 runway each. We just dont have the traffic levels to warrant the level of manning that allows the US system. Their tracon guys "own" tiny (by Australian standards) bits of airspace, and can run approaches into towers etc. The guy in oz in the same position is looking at a 400nm screen with 12 such airports in it, and doesnt have the resolution or capacity to do what Dick wants. I can see how these concepts are hard to appreciate if you are not a trained controller, but that is where Dick diverges from his own advice. He doesnt accept the advice of experts (the many who post here, either anonymously or using their own name!!), and he doesnt allow the best "bang for safety buck" (the way the oz system evolved is efficient for oz!).

Finally, another thread has shown Dick up with facts, and he descends into witch hunt and attacking motivations. Then he wonders why people wont call him!!!

Edited to say: I've just read Dick's apology above, so credit where it is due. It is certainly true that threads like this are highly educational- even if they dont turn out as certain people want! (this post was written at the same time as the one above).