PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 11th Jul 2008, 05:01
Willoz269

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick:

No, I don't mean everything in controlled airspace...I have no problem passing the FSO function to a radar controller to provide RAS, the problem I have is converting busy airspace into a hybrid GA capable airspace in the name of "modernisation" or just because "that's the way they do it in the US"...whoopee....there's a lot of stuff that is done in the US or other "leading countries" that I don't wish repeated here.

I know you want to convert airspace to Class E, just like it happened at Avalon and other places...the problem I have is....as soon as it is done, and an incident occurs, you are the first person to stand up and throw stones at the establishment for following your original ideas.

I haven't followed the TCAS story for a few years, but from memory your "idols" in the US did not have a requirement for a transpoder-equipped aircraft unless it was over a certain weight or capacity. Correct if this has changed, but in Australia I cannot see many people being able to afford a TCAS-C or S capable transponder without a significant subsidy.

Was it not you who was complaining of having ADS-B in your cockpit which would detract you from keeping a sharp lookout for traffic? If you follow the existing rules in GA, why would you require TCAS as back up? It will hardly allow you to keep a look out the way you are proposing to use it, plsu who is going to train the pilots on it??? And keep them current? Would that be policed by CASA?? HOW??? With the old affordable safety policy that says they have an obligation to do the right thing and if they don't and fall over, THEN the authority comes in and looks at it?

As it has been stated here before, TCAS is NOT a traffic management solution, it is an information tool which gives a warning based on calculations made computing a closest point of approach. Hardly the tool to use in GA!!!

GA industry is a hard slog in this country, there are a LOT of really good air men and women out there who simply cannot afford extra equipment in their aircraft for a marginal return in safety and no returns in any foreseeable profit.

Not everyone likes to have gadgets!