PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 11th Jul 2008, 03:39
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Willoz269, you state:

Many years ago EVERYTHING used to be positively separated by radar
Actually, you mean everything in controlled airspace. In fact, huge amounts of radar covered airspace between Melbourne and Cairns, which were considered to be uncontrolled, had no radar service at all. Even if you wanted to get your transponder checked you had to talk to a Flight Service Officer who had a microphone and no radar. The FSO would call the radar controller on his tie line, and then report if the transponder was working. Yes, it was that ridiculous.

Can you advise if you are happy that I was involved in giving that uncontrolled airspace to radar controllers, so now we can get a radar service?

As you would probably know, I would like to upgrade a lot of this uncontrolled airspace (at places like Bowen) to Class E controlled airspace, so IFR will get a separation service, and also a service to help prevent controlled flight into terrain. VFR aircraft will also have a mandatory transponder requirement so TCAS is there for a safety back up.

As you can understand, in Class G airspace at the moment there is no requirement for transponders – so often there is not the TCAS safety back up.

Do you support these changes? I look forward to your comments.