PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 11th Jul 2008, 02:40
mjbow2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
james michael

Mjbow
Good point. One suspects as an example that there is no difficulty (except cost) in getting the Lonnie radar feed to Lonnie Tower?...
Scurvy.D.Dog

Whilst we wait for that, perhaps you MJ might give us your view on the costs to industry (comparision) of what we currently have v's Remote Surveillance Approach services!?
I would have thought that with the expense of installing such a radar on the Launy airfield that the feed would be there already. Scurvy, unless I have misread, I understand that you are a tower controller in LST. Is this the case? Do you have radar information in the tower like they do in many US class D towers?

As far as costs are concerned for allowing the centre controller to give radar separation to low levels (like the do in the US), I cannot answer that Scurvy, I dont have that information.

What does it cost the industry to have expensive enroute radar sitting idle below 8,500ft, despite offering fantastic coverage?

What would it cost the industry to have tower controllers being radar rated and the industry not being able to use it after the tower closes? Again, the radar is sitting idle for the lower levels, where it is most useful.

I don't have the answer to these questions Scurvy, if you have these numbers I am sure everyone would like to see them.

I have had no problems however, while flying in the US with enroute controllers giving radar services down to the IAF at remote class D airfields. It seems to work very well indeed. And as an RPT pilot I would welcome such a move.

Dick Smith says

Scurvy, I’m happy to cover the cost of you going to the tower, to see what they do for a couple of hours, and then for you to advise whether you think it has any advantages over what we do here in Australia.
As I have stated before, I will donate $1100 to a program that sends controllers to the US to learn. If Dick Smith is prepared to cover your costs to visit Hawaii Scurvy, I will happily donate my $1100 for your trip. What an offer Scurvy, a free trip to Hawaii with $1100 spending money.

I have noticed in the past that Dick Smith has offered to talk to people on the phone about various topics, or to accompany him on a flight in one of his aircraft. I have noticed over the last couple of years that no one seems to take up his offer. Why is this? Scurvy, will you take up his offer to go to Hawaii?

james michael I freely admit as a mere airline pilot I know little to nothing about ADS-B and can offer very little on the issue. You on the other hand seem quite knowledgeable and have a great deal to offer the debate. Why not call Dick Smith? Who knows, you may help change his views on ADS-B.

Can anyone explain to me what the reason could be that people would not want to talk to Dick Smith directly? I really don't understand why!