PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 11th Jul 2008, 00:41
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
James Michael, I think I’ve got you. You state:

Kindly withdraw the allegation. Dick, your's sails almost close enough for a bouquet of tulips consequence
You are obviously referring to the Caroline Tulip issue. Has it occurred to you that if you want to take a similar action, you will then have to say your name – and that is what I want to know?

At the present time there is no comparison with the Caroline Tulip issue because you are hiding behind anonymity. Don’t you understand that? A person who is anonymous can’t be defamed.

Now let me answer your three questions. The answers are as follows.

What's the information - or was that just bait to have me ring on Sunday for a sermon?
No, not for a sermon. I wanted to try to find out why you are spending so much time on this issue, and also provide some important information as to why I believe Airservices do not have one person who is prepared to put their name to and “sell” the low level ADS-B proposal. There is also extra information I would like to give you but I would only do this after I understand your own personal motivation.

How are you going with ICAO Annex 6?
I’ve looked at it, but it is so bloody complex I’m not sure which part you are referring to. As you know, the FAA proudly announced that it has more notified differences to ICAO than any other country. This is because the FAA wants to have a viable aviation industry – which it generally has – rather than an industry which is stifled by inappropriate rules which add to cost but not to safety in an effective way.

In his paper on why Australia should not blindly accept ICAO certification standards, Ron Yates (the past CEO of Qantas) pointed out that ICAO was primarily in place for third world countries that could not afford modern standards of their own.

Why are you opposing ADs-B that will probably better enable your desired NAS to occur earlier (or are you hoping for a contra deal with the union if you bang the ATC staffing shortage drum as at present?).
I am not opposing ADS-B, I think it is the way of the future. I will say again that I don’t want to rush into it, and I believe the proposed subsidy is a major misallocation of valuable safety dollars.

No, I’m not looking for any type of “deal” with the union. I have worked for 20 years to improve aviation in Australia – that is, the whole industry. That is why I am standing up and publicly saying that there is a shortage of air traffic controllers, and this has come about from poor leadership and a lack of planning.

I have always wanted to get more people flying in Australia, and a more viable industry. That can only help air traffic controllers.

Remember, I was the person who led the Board decision in 1991 to give all of the airspace to air traffic controllers so we could improve efficiency and safety.