PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 11th Jul 2008, 00:14
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Max1, you state:

There is no sneaky plan to make GA come into the system so they can start to get charged, it would overwhelm the system and the controllers. Unless you ask for it, there is no way we want to start separating lighties somewhere out in the boonies.
I am sure you are honestly stating your belief on this, but do you realise that the ASTRA Cross Industry Business Case & Cost-Benefit Analysis ADS-B Avionics Fitment, Introduction of TSO 145/146 Navigators & Extended Surveillance Coverage stated:

The expansion of ADS-B into hotspots such as Broome and Ayers Rock will enable Airservices Australia to provide traffic advisory and other ATC services at these airports. This will essentially provide the same level of ATC service at these airports as is currently provided at major capital city airports.
Max1, as you know, currently the capital city airports have Class C, and this means that Airservices will be able to “essentially provide the same level of ATC service” (i.e. Class C) at places like Broome and Ayers Rock.

Remember that Class C requires separation of IFR and VFR, and VFR pilots pay a terminal charge at the major capital city airports. I read this as a proposal to do the same thing at Broome and Ayers Rock, but to provide the service from the Air Traffic Control Centre in Melbourne or Brisbane.

How do you read it?