PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 10th Jul 2008, 22:26
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob Murphie

You miss the point of the coming CASA train - the light at the end of the tunnel is probably Transponder in CTAF R.

Therefore, your croppie who has become the focus of your current 'next diversion' is going to REQUIRE a transponder ANYWAY.

It does not matter whether it is a donkey mode C as now or a new mode S re maintenance does it? Except perhaps that the NEW mode S transponder is PAID FOR and likely more relieble with RS232 encoder instead of old donkey one.

ALL

I have to tell you it's freezing in the halls of power this morning. Overnight I realised just how crazy was this debate. If you were all to open your management texts, you could find a general guide to making decisions:
GET ALL THE FACTS
WEIGH AND DECIDE
FEEDBACK AND REVISE

IN THAT ORDER

So, over my morning latte I have found the following quotes:

Dick Smith 28 June
There is no way I and others will allow the removal of the en-route SSR network until the ADSB system is totally operational and proven.This will then throw the "subsidy" figures on the scrap heap!
They won't take any notice of us? Don't you believe it -watch the media.
Dick Smith 3 July
There is simply no reason that we should lead the world – especially when we do not have competent people here doing the “leading.”
Dick Smith 8 July
With the limited amount of information I have (because I’m kept out of the loop in every way possible – as is everyone who doesn’t blindly support the JCP),
So in the past month, the management texts have been re-written.

Dick - acknowledging he does NOT have the facts - has criticised the ADS-B proponents, and determined to stop the program.

Would someone like to re-write the management texts

I think I personally am also owed an answer:

Dick Smith 5 july
James, I will answer all of your questions on Monday, in the meantime I dare you to phone me this weekend for even more important information.
Dick - three specific questions:
- What's the information - or was that just bait to have me ring on Sunday for a sermon?
- How are you going with ICAO Annex 6?
- Why are you opposing ADs-B that will probably better enable your desired NAS to occur earlier (or are you hoping for a contra deal with the union if you bang the ATC staffing shortage drum as at present?).