PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA flight deck visits
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2001, 16:17
Lan Ding Gere

Talking

You're right G-BPEC

I must say, that BA have been really very good to me about this, as long as there is a genuine interest and no time wasters.

I have to be honest, of the past 4 long Haul Flights, I have managed to get a ride in the jumpseat 3 times for takeoff & landing.

Of that one time, the skipper already had someone in the seat, but still invited me up for a brief cockpit visit, which was really nice of him.

HOW ?

Well, it follows some advice, which I got from here within PPRUNE. I normally have a "brief" note prepared, with a business card attached before I board the plane,with seat number, explaining, who I am, what I do and also mention that you will not speak until spoken to, behave in a professional manor AND most importantly of all, mention that you will leave the cockpit when asked to do so by the captain and/or First Officer.

As soon as I board, I ask to speak to the Purser and explain to him/her that I am a training pilot and would like to have the note passed on to the captain. Minutes later, I usually get a visit from the Purser, FO inviting me up for Takeoff and then having the FO come down 20 minutes before landing inviting to come up for Landing.

IMPORTANT.

During the visits that I have had, the FO on this one occasion did mention, that writing the note does add weight and also not to persue this on board the flight, if there is no response, as this may "Cheese" the crew off following on from the very recent Niarobi incident.

I hope that helps.

Well done BA

[This message has been edited by Lan Ding Gere (edited 11 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lan Ding Gere (edited 11 April 2001).]