PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 10th Jul 2008, 02:52
max1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Binghi,
Time for a deep breath, okay , now let it out slowly, okay, better.
On my first reading of James Michaels post that stated "Off to meetings, lot's happening in this disneyland today" I took it that he had to stop posting because his work was a madhouse, somehow you seemed to find it as an insult directed at you and/ or this discussion. Step back and keep your objectivity. I think its great that people,such as you and I and others, are passionate about these issues,. Lets not let this passion blind us to what is being said.

Some salient points,

1. ADS-(B)roadcast has been up and working in Australia for over 2 years and is installed in international, domestic and regional aircraft.

2. ADS-(C)ontract (satellite and VHF based) has been used in Oceanic and remote areas for over 8 years.

3. The GPS signal has never been turned off, even during 9/11.

4. GA will not pay for the Avionics, the airlines (the passengers if you will, Dick) through ASA will pay,as ADS-B out is for the protection of the airlines in areas that currently have no surveillance, hence they are paying.

5. Any GA aircraft with ADS-B Out will not have to pay navcharges if they are not in the 'system' as a flightplan (TAAATS call them Flight Data Records, FDRs), ATC will be able to see these 'blips' in range of an ADS-B ground station, and give traffic to aircraft who are in the system.

6. There is no sneaky plan to make GA come into the system so they can start to get charged, it would overwhelm the system and the controllers. Unless you ask for it, there is no way we want to start separating lighties somewhere out in the boonies.

Also, there seems to be a conception out there that controllers are behind this initiative because it would mean more controllers. I've got no idea how this thinking got started. It makes no difference to us, whether there are more or less controllers, we wouldn't get anymore money, our (lack of) career choices wouldn't change. In fact a redundancy package to get out is looking fairly attractive at the moment, THEN head off to overseas.

For those who say "mmmm, means more controllers" nudge, nudge ,wink, wink,vested interest, could you please let me know what you think the advantages are to me, because I'm just not seeing it.

The advantage of ADS-B surveillance to controllers, is that we can do our job safer and more efficient, with something we have trust in.

P.S. Give the terrorist UAV/buzz bombs a rest, it is getting tiresome.I notice you are a lone voice. Dick, any thoughts on the buzz bombs scenario being a showstopper for GPS navigation?