PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 10th Jul 2008, 00:56
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Scurvy, unfortunately you are wrong. If you purchased the latest Airbus A380, you would find that whilst it transmits ADS-B, it actually shows aircraft on the screen using TCAS. At the present time it does not have any “mix” of the ADS-B signals on that display. The reason for this – as pointed out previously on this site – is because the ADS-B position is very accurate, whereas the TCAS position can vary.

I have researched this thoroughly. Microair do have experimental ADS-B ‘in’ units, however they do not have a TCAS-like voice read out for Traffic Advisories or Resolution Advisories. I have flown aircraft with the FAA Capstone system and they have the same problem. It is more of a gimmick, because you look down on the display and see lots of aircraft appearing, however you cannot study the display all of the time, and once again there is no audio call out when traffic is close.

Whatever you want to make out, the facts are simple. That is, there is no certified (or non-certified) ADS-B ‘in’ unit available which gives an audio call out for nearby traffic. Because a pilot cannot study the display all the time, it means the available systems are not as effective as TCAS.

As I have mentioned previously, this will change in the future. I understand there are some patent problems in relation to audio call outs with ADS-B, and that is why the US Capstone does not feature such announcements.

By the way Scurvy, you know that one of the reasons that you cannot provide a radar service to the lowest level of radar coverage at Launceston is because the tower controllers are not radar rated.

In the USA and other leading aviation countries, the radar covered airspace remains with the Centre until the lower level of radar coverage. Because the Centre controllers are radar rated, and because they are there 24 hours per day, it is quite a superb and safe service.

Australia is the only country I know of in the world where a pilot is forced to leave a radar frequency when in IMC to change to the tower and talk to controllers who are not radar rated.

One day I think we will try the system that is used in the rest of the world, and find that it adds to safety. Of course, that will probably be after someone makes a mistake at a place like Hamilton Island and flies into a mountain because the controllers in the tower had no idea that the error had been made.

And the FAA won the Collier Trophy for the Capstone system which is totally different to that planned here!