PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 9th Jul 2008, 22:52
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
James Michael, I’m sure in the future Garmin and similar GPS units will have the necessary software to translate ADS-B into a TCAS-like use. The problem is that it doesn’t exist at the moment, and I would rather wait until the bugs are ironed out.

I will say again that I’m a total supporter of ADS-B. I’m just not keen on Australia leading the world. I would rather the costly errors be made in other countries, then we reap the benefit of their learning experience.

I cannot see any immediate safety problem that would require VFR aircraft which fly in the low levels to be fitted with an expensive ADS-B ‘out’ unit.

Considering that Airservices is spending a lot of money on a multilateration system in Tasmania that only requires Mode C or Mode S transponders to work satisfactorily, I cannot see the enormous hurry to go to a subsidised ADS-B system for GA.

I have always been cautious and conservative in my business dealings, and this has given great benefits.