PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 9th Jul 2008, 10:24
Quokka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks to me as if this $100 million primarily VFR aircraft subsidy issue is being pushed by those who emotively want to get VFR aircraft back in the ATC system as they were in the days of the old full position reporting.
I can assure you Mr Smith, I have no desire for the re-introduction of VFR full position reporting.

Full position reporting provided Situational Awareness to the controller and to all participants in the system where no surveillance, or limited surveillance, existed. In controlled airspace, when an aircraft is identified and in receipt of a control service, full position reporting ceases. Where VFR aircraft broadcast position reports, they are not in receipt of a control service and are broadcasting their position and intentions to all other participants in the system to "plug the gap" in the Situational Awareness picture and close the bigger holes in the Swiss Cheese.

ADS-B is a surveillance system that has the capability to provide all participants with Situational Awareness... those who are being provided with a control service... and those who are not being provided with a control service... provided that all participants are equipped with ADS-B transmitters.

Therefore... ADS-B removes any requirement for VFR full position reporting... provided that all VFR participants in the system are ADS-B equipped.

ADS-B is an E-Airspace enabler... outside of airspace where a FLOW Control service is being provided for aircraft arriving at a Capital City airport.