PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 9th Jul 2008, 01:16
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
James Michael, I’ve just spoken on the phone to the Chief Pilot of the RFDS in Perth who confirmed what I already understood. That is, the RFDS supports the introduction of ADS-B.

Interestingly enough, the RFDS is currently fitting its aircraft with KT-73 transponders, then taking the GPS information from the King Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System. The RFDS believes this system is certified by CASA, however I’m not quite sure what this certification standard is.

As I have stated previously on this site, the cheapest quote I could get to upgrade my Proline 21 for certified ADS-B in the CJ3 was over $100,000.

Most importantly, the RFDS has TCAS, and at the present time if we fit more aircraft with Mode C transponders, the RFDS will get proven traffic information from aircraft so fitted.

I made enquiries about fitting a King KT-73 transponder and connecting it to the GPS in the Citation. The engineer just laughed and said it could not possibly be certified in any way.

As I have said consistently on this site, I support ADS-B, but I don’t support Australia rushing in with a half-baked system when we can immediately get higher levels of safety using existing certified equipment.

James Michael, you may believe there won’t be an “enormous expense” if it is subsidised. Unfortunately the enormous expense still exists, and as stated previously I believe at the last moment the subsidy will disappear (because of the clout of Qantas and the other airlines) and you will find that all GA owners will be forced to pay for their own equipment. This will mean even fewer GA aircraft operating, and more people forced onto the airlines – which is exactly what Airservices and the airlines want.