PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 8th Jul 2008, 13:08
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FB
I see you make mention that the system would revert to an inefficient, and non-dangerous state... a system, aparently, that has less ATC and nav-aids then we currently have... Hmmm...
Even though some posters dont seem to understand your concern (and I'll say it again- for clarity: FB is worried that the loss of the GPS signal will cause chaos if oz moves to a GPS-reliant system). How can I say this so that your fears are alleviated? Your fears are unfounded. Loss of ADS-B due GPS failure/removal/interruption is not dangerous. It will cause inefficiency, but not DANGER. Many aircraft operate daily under procedural control. All day, every day. What do you think happens across the ocean between even the US and Europe? Lots of radar, til they get about 200nm offshore. Then......shock, horror, PROCEDURAL CONTROL. And there are NO NAVAIDS!! In the future, with ADS and satellites, that (ATC) WILL be different.
Furthermore, I would expect EVERY single controller in the world has at some time been working when they have had a technical failure resulting in loss of their radar or screen or TAAATs-like thing. Very much like the sudden loss of the GPS signal you describe. THERE ARE CONTINGENCIES. Do we stop using radar because it might fail at times? The risk is miniscule, and the rewards are great.

Does that make you feel better?