PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 8th Jul 2008, 00:13
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Werbil, you ask:

Dick, you are quite adamant in you opposition to the JCP proposal. What do you suggest should be done instead, and how do you suggest it should be funded?
With the limited amount of information I have (because I’m kept out of the loop in every way possible – as is everyone who doesn’t blindly support the JCP), I believe that we should continue with the high level ADS-B installation as planned. Then we should iron out the problems and take a careful look at how it works compared to the multilateration system currently being installed in Tasmania. A proper discussion paper should then be released showing the advantages and disadvantages of each system, with the relative costs.

In the meantime, I believe we should enter into a contract which keeps the existing enroute secondary surveillance radars operating until at least 2020.

Gradually, during the intervening years, we should encourage the installation of ADS-B equipment as it becomes available – or as it is installed at no charge in new aircraft.

I believe within the next two years, we will find which system will become the de facto world standard. That is the one we should stick with.

In relation to funding, I believe that the costs will be so low by 2020 that they will be no more than an existing transponder, and this price will also provide an ADS-B or TCAS ‘in’ equivalent.

As I have said before, I totally support ADS-B, but not rushing into it when we don’t even have proper certified units at a reasonable price for GA aircraft.