PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 7th Jul 2008, 12:01
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bing

IMHO, we need to think very, very carefully, before we throw away our current well proven radar based air-nav system.
'Our current well proven radar based air-nav system' will be retained where it matters i.e. Primary radar (you do know the difference between PRIM and SSR radar I take it) in the capitals, that will uniquely provide non-SSR skin return radar + MLat + ADS-B .... surely you can see the significance of that PRIM radar decision ... WITHOUT IT BEING SPELT OUT!

In Enroute airspace (where SSR only exists), it would be replaced with ADS-B! ... more accurate, reliable, cost effective where wide area procedural ATC separation can be utilised immediately as a back-up! .... the loss of SSR only radar in these areas will effectively make no negative difference. What will make a difference is the ability at comparatively very low cost (where a need is identified), provide addtional areas of accurate ATS surveillance where it currently exists and where it is needed elsewhere such as the goldfields!

That all said (and its been said many times by many folks already) .... in your scenario .... would said persons (who would seek to harm us) equip said airbourne delivery device with a god damd TXPDR???

.... think about it mate! The areas that need the PRIM eyes to see sneekies will still have it, and where it won't exist, it currently does not anyway!

Fecken hell