PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 7th Jul 2008, 11:44
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Spend a day out in the paddock, and look what greets me...

and Flying Binghi,guess what, it kept working right on through the morning of 911 and was invaluable for communicating with the aircraft already in the air from the States coming to Australia on that fateful day.
No aurgument from me max1

Terrorist scenario - red herring of miniscule impact - Binghi, ADS-B is working NOW around the world, how many terrorist GPS guided V2's have landed? But, let's turn off the constellation and that will stop them, won't it? Whoops, now they're using trucks. Let's ban them - you can drive to the farm for your produce.
james michael, The scenario I presented is NOT about V2's. It is compareing the terror effects of a Buzz bomb like device, basicly a small UAV. My understanding of Hitlers terror weapon, the buzz bombs, were that the British military deemed them to be not worth bothering with as they caused little real damage. The politicians of the time thought otherwise, and had considerable resources (and lives) diverted to suppress these highly inaccurate terror weapons.

Imagine what it would have been like if Hitlers Buzz bombs had a delivery accuracy of 30 metres...

... and the reason it has'nt happened yet .... ??? I dunno, pax jets were around for 40 odd years before 9II.

And re truck bombs - they will come from within Oz, and will damage a particular target... not indirectly take out the entire Oz air-nav system (edit - an ADS-B air-nav system) The Oz security people are pretty good at identifying 'in-house' terrorists (exhibit A - the Footy bombers) the problem is stopping terror weapons launched from outside Oz.

IMHO, we need to think very, very carefully, before we throw away our current well proven radar based air-nav system.