PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 7th Jul 2008, 06:59
max1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob Murphie,
I answered your question as simply as I could previously.
Here it is again. ASA will pay for the GA subsidy, and again, ASA will pay for the GA subsidy.
Q. Where is ASA getting the money? A. From its customers i.e. pretty much the airlines.
Q. Where is ASA getting the money?A. From its customers i.e. pretty much the airlines.
Q. Why are the airlines willing to pay, through ASA, to outfit the GA fleet rather than get money back now?
A. Because the airlines (now listen up Flying Binghi) run a business, and are aware that longer term that they will save money because their supplier will have cheaper costs through running a proven , reliable and cheaper system through a network of ADS-B ground stations than by having to instal and maintain a network of SSRs that have moving parts.
ADS-B will give them much greater coverage at a cheaper price.Long term they will see a reduction in nav charges.

The airlines are onboard.

Dick, do you think Qantas, Virgin etc would allow ASA to go down this path, basically spending airline navcharges, if they weren't comfortable with the technology. They have been using it for some years now, and are involved in the implementation and testing of it.

Bob I think you'll find that in the excerpt you posted that

"ABIT includes representatives from Airservices, CASA, DOTARS, Defence, international airlines,
domestic airlines, regional airlines, airports, general aviation, sports aviation, recreational aviation,
avionics manufacturers & installers, flying training, and search & rescue"

International,domestic and regional airlines ARE in on it.

Dick ASA DONT have $100 million floating around, it is the future navcharge payers money ( pretty much the airlines) . I'm sure that they would rather not pay it, and ASA have committed to reducing charges. As I have stated, in this case, it is a one time close-ended deal.

If ASA have to commit to replacing old radar heads and installing new ones around Australia, that money is G-O-N-E.

To summarise, ASA pay for avionics upgrades with the navcharges from the airlines, the airlines are onboard, the system works, there are redundancies, ATC can go to procedural control if it goes suddenly offline (just like now if we lose radar). FB, the airlines run a business, probably a bit bigger than yours, and they are happy with it.