PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 6th Jul 2008, 08:20
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
On that point, Mr speaker I draw your attention to relevance
Looks like I stand corrected re the business experience of certain posters ...Funny how some are running away though ...are the very simple scenarios I offer up, too hard to debate ? ...or are they going off for a sulk ?

Re the relevance of my posts - I am not questioning the usefullness of GPS, I am very concerned though about the dangers of totally dedicating the Oz airspace to a GPS only based air-nav system.

I have asked what happens to the GPS system when several, perhaps dozens, or hundreds of very cheap GPS guided UAVs/buzz bombs fly over the Oz or U.S.coast lines - i am yet to receive much of an answer to this. Is this scenario plausable ? Prior to the 9II event, how many thought a 9II possible.

The UAVs I describe could be as small as a 6 foot wing span, a little single cylinder engine turning a home made prop, and launched from 500+ miles off shore. With GPS targetting accuracy, these UAV bombs wouldnt need to be big at all.

From reading other posts, etc, I get the impression that the U.S. cannot isolate the civvy GPS signal via the satelites so more then likely the only way to stop supplying the GPS targetting signal to the terrorists would to turn off the civy GPS until alternate measures were found to stop the Buzz bombs - and that could take years. Obviously No GPS = No ADS-B. Perhaps one of the reasons why there are no concrete guarentees of GPS continuing, only a vague policy.