PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 5th Jul 2008, 01:55
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gary

I apologise but I have no paper to direct you toward as I believe this must go from the recent ASTRA meeting back to the other key parties to re-start the amended JCP.

The association I joined to further my aviation pursuit gave me the advice on request. I understand it is from the latest meeting they attended and is a proposal put forward to ASTRA to re-start ADS-B now or move to the radar replacement program which puts the next subsidy chance at 2028.

I reproduce here extract of what I was sent, and I take it in good faith:

"(Notes from today's meeting) The Atlas and Radar replacement/life extension program has run its course, a decision has to be made to transition to satellite technology for enroute surveillance by September. Failure to do so will require replacement of 8 terminal and 11 enroute radars, as these are nearing the end of their useful life, this will also mean replacing and continuing with ground base navaids. Airservices has recently signed a contract to extend the life of current enroute radars, to preserve a contingency (transition) period between the proposed mid-2012 ATLAS mandate and radar decommissioning.

ADS-B implementation is proposed to replace the enroute radars and navaids, by 2012. The timeline of September is critical for decision making, delays beyond this point will necessitate replacing radars and navaids as they have already been extended beyond their useful life, once this occurs then subsidy funding of ADS-B installation in VH registered aircraft will not be available. This does not mean ADS-B will not go ahead, the airlines are equipping existing aircraft and new aircraft will be ADS-B capable.

The ABIT meeting today discussed a proposal to introduce a Phase 1 introduction i.e.. ADS-B for transponder equivalence, subsidies for installation and purchase of equipment along with a back up network of navaids during the transition period.

Phase 11 will continue to be worked on and debated to try and resolve and where necessary elliminate some of the concerns and problems that have bogged down the debate so far.

This I believe is a step forward and was recognised as such by the attendees. The meeting was unanimous in accepting this approach. Phase 1 allows us to utilise the advantages of the technology, take advantage of the subsidy and still continue to debate and resist the onerous issues.

Although the meeting endorsed the proposal, this does not necessarily mean the Minister will give it the go ahead. This process was initiated by the previous government about 8 years ago, a gentleman from the Department of Infrastructure, Transport etc etc made this clear that it would have to be put to the Minister for a final decision."