PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 08:45
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Binghi

To answer your question, why does ADS-B need a backup network? Because any system may fail (eg a massive sunspot interference).

We DO backup the current navaid network actually - have a look at your IFR alternates.

Account for GA air time? - my understanding from the association I contacted is that they have a submission to Airservices about LESS accounts for GA airtime.

Bob Murphie

Not two transponders. You throw away your tired old existing one and start afresh with a new one with probable minimal maintenance.

There are probably many VFR and IFR owners who will take the subsidy and either include extra upgrade in the deal or pocket the surplus $. The subsidy was based on a $10,000 or $15,000 one off payment not related to actual expenditure but merely to the aircraft being VFR/working txpdr or IFR on the maintenance release.

Dick Smith

You state
I’m concerned about the $100 million subsidy here to fit ADS-B in small GA aircraft. I want to know which safety issue is being addressed for the $100 million.
Do the aircraft owners care about the safety issue? If one has a VFR aircraft and can put ADS-B plus a TSO 146 GPS in for an outlay of $3,000 to $5,000 - that answers the 'what's in it for me' as far as I'm concerned. Or do I go along with you and find it later mandated by CASA and me having to pay $10,000 without a GPS on my dash?

I comprehend your concerns - mine are that it's going to be bulldozed in and it's no skin off my nose to get it for free plus some extra GPS capability instead of my handheld.

What can you offer if I hang out?