PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 00:09
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Quokka, what a load of codswallop!

Tell me one country in Europe that has 1090ES ADS-B fitted in GA aircraft. You won’t be able to name one, because there isn’t one.

I’m concerned about the $100 million subsidy here to fit ADS-B in small GA aircraft. I want to know which safety issue is being addressed for the $100 million. It could be that more and more airline aircraft are gradually being fitted with 1090ES ADS-B, however it will be over a decade before the entire airline fleet is so fitted.

The only European country that I know of which is experimenting with ADS-B is Sweden, and I understand they are going with VDL 4.

I’ll say it again. I totally support ADS-B, however I believe we should be conservative, watch the fallout as other countries make huge errors costing billions of dollars, and then follow the best.

There is simply no reason that we should lead the world – especially when we do not have competent people here doing the “leading.”