PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 28th Jun 2008, 09:42
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Gary, Was the Bundaberg trial certified by CASA? Need I say any more! They don't appear to have the skills to monitor a small airline let alone the skills and expertise to certify the worlds first stand alone ADSB system.

I understand even the airborne equipment was never fully certified as it consisted of boxes from different companies strung together with a few wires. And of course, it didn't include the ADSB "in" part.

The Bundaberg trial was as proven as the Super Seasprites were in 2001. That is to say a demonstation of a few experimental units is totally different to a fully certified safe operational system.

James, the media release will not be comming from me.

Commonsense alone is all that is necessary to know that the system as proposed will not go ahead- I bet the two systems- existing SSR and the completed ADSB system- will co-exist for at least 5 years before a properly informed Minister would allow even one SSR to be de-commissioned.

This means that a major SSR refurbishment or replacement decision will need to be made and this has the implication of tens of millions of dollars of unplanned Airservices expenditure.

This of course means the $100 mil. will not be available for the subsidy for GA.-which then means the whole proposal will need to be looked at again.

Hopefully they will involve competent people next time.