PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 28th Jun 2008, 00:48
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I believe equipment will quickly be available at reasonable cost.
james michael, I'm sure Airservices will be releived to know that.

Before we get too carried away with aircraft equipment we better make sure it will work.

In the proposed GPS/ADS-B dependant airways, what will be the back-up system for the ADS-B unit when the GPS system fails, for whatever reason ??? Has it been planned for ???

And remember Airservices do not own the GPS system and the 'guarantees' of continued access are vague at best.

In my little four seat aircraft I already have a traffic aviodance system (TAS) that works off other aircraft transponders. There is no requirement for an unreliable third party input via GPS to make my TAS work.

Many Australian aircraft already have transponders, and most of the light aircraft that mix it with the big jets have transponders (Those pesky Tiger moth drivers) Near all of the pax jets have transponder reading TAS. (There are some pax jets that dont have TAS which is covered in another thread) It probably wouldnt cost much to supply transponders to the very few aircraft that operate around pax-jet airports.

To qoute again from Scurvys reference re NO GPS signal -
..."a signal change could make an already weak economy worse. Collectively it could have a substantial effect on industries as diverse as aviation, agriculture and municipal transportation," says Frost & Sullivan's Stearns...