PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 27th Jun 2008, 04:31
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SDD is the microair unit certified or homebuilt types only?

There is a LOT of great gear produced for the homebuilt market...REALLY good gear...autopilots/EFIS PFDs, etc but none can be installed in my Bonanza as primary because it is not certified.

If CASA relaxed the rules for piston private ops (at least) the world would really open up for aircraft owners in terms of what gear they can install.

All this good gear is a fraction of the cost of the certified gear, between 10 -25%.

Look at the gear Jaba is putting in his RV10, in terms of primary flight instruments and autopilots, and he will be legally allowed to fly IFR. Those of us with certified aircraft are restricted to gear that is no more capable but costs 5-10 times as much.

Dynon Avionics - Home

CASA are so far behind the curve in this area as to simply beggar belief. Private ops should be private ops and I should not need to pay a 500% premium for gear that is self evidently better and SAFER than what was installed in 1970.

I'd bet folding money this situation will not change soon.

Are we to be required to match AsA's $ out of our pockets, because the C^*ts Against Safe Aviation are 30 years behind the times, for a system that does no more than my mode C transponder/big end of town's TCAS does now so the thieving Govt (who takes several thousand $/annum GST off me now for aviation activities for precisely zero return) can save more of my tax money to be wasted on sundry bonuses and handouts?

FTDK has purchased a handheld TCAD unit recently that provides TA (no RA) just from the signals received from proximate transponders.

ADS-B will give him more what, exactly?

'Low level ADS-B' is not going to be that low anyway without a LOT more ground stations so the SAR savings part of the cost/benefit case is a bit of spin too.

MSSR around the capital city primary airports (all 8) is to remain in place..not that we are welcomed there anyway...but transitioning no issue from an ATC management point of view...and if you are prepared to pay the $ you can land at them.

There is no remote area IAL advantages conferred by ADS-B...more spin.

In fact that is the ONE thing the Govt could do that would REALLY impact air safety immediately...WAAS based LPV approaches...and they are not doing it. The one thing that would VERY likely have broken the chain at Lockhart River and they are not doing it.

But we'll get satellite based approaches at YBBN apparently

CASA/AsA have absolutely no interest in GA. That is a direct result of corporatisation.

I very, VERY rarely agree with Dick on any subject but I find myself agreeing with him now...I believe you need to view anything uttered by CASA/AsA through the prism of my penultimate paragraph.