PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 27th Jun 2008, 01:13
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the links scurvy, You probably havnt read my previous posts on 'why' the GPS signal maybe turned off, I tend to remove the posts fairly quikly. They were about UA-Vehicles and the miss-use off.

The Forbes article you quote goes a little vague when it talks of terrorist miss-use of the GPS signal (good reasons I guess) suffice to say that when GPS is eventualy miss-used it will likely be the end of the civy system for a while.

Also, probably not a good idea for Oz to spend money on an airnav system when we dont own or control a core component of the system.

From the Forbes article -

"We are not planning to degrade GPS, and there are no plans to degrade GPS," says Jason Kim, a GPS board spokesman. "The decision to turn off SA was a serious national policy decision. Obviously it could be overruled, but no one is seriously contemplating that right now."

And why Oz should not rely on a system that can be switched of at the whim of others.... Forbes again -

and re signal loss ... And a signal change could make an already weak economy worse. "Collectively it could have a substantial effect on industries as diverse as aviation, agriculture and municipal transportation," says Frost & Sullivan's Stearns.

Quotes via - GPS, The War And You - Forbes.com

(I have bolded and underlined parts of the article)