PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia ADS-B program - another Seasprite Fiasco?
Old 26th Jun 2008, 07:13
PlankBlender

Here's why I think it still works!

Hmm, I am not sure I want to get involved in the argument about ethics and so forth, my first hand experiences with aviation officials in this country have been good ones.

Here's the relevant blurb from the Garmin GTX330 transponder manual, I would say I'll get traffic on my 430/530 with that one:

Traffic Information Service
The GTX 330 Mode S transponder provides a data link for Traffic Information Service (TIS). TIS is derived through a Mode S transponder data link and viewed on a multifunction display. ATC radar sends a traffic picture within a radius of 55 miles from select sites. The TIS protected area is a cylinder of 7-mile radius, extending 3500’ above and 3000’ below your aircraft. Refer to the AIM Chapter 1 for more details.
TIS provides a graphic display of traffic information in the cockpit for non-TCAS equipped aircraft. Transponder-equipped aircraft can be displayed within the coverage volume within range of your position on indicators such as a Garmin GNS 430 or GNS 530, GNS 480, and GMX 200. Aircraft without an operating transponder are invisible to TIS. Refer to 400/500 series, GNS 480 or GMX 200 pilot literature for details.

Let me make up two relatively realistic cases for the subsidy here:

1. IFR: 15k will buy you an installed GNS430W/GTX330 combo methinks. Avionix.com quote 10k US for an installed 430, for example, and I would think a local avionics shop wanting your business will get you there with the GTX330 in close proximity of 15k. Let's not forget that for that kind of money you also get a NAV/COM, so you're really getting quite a bit more than a GPS and transponder.

2. VFR: 10K will most likely get you an installed GPS400W/GTX330 combo (the 400W being the GNS430W minus the NAV/COM - let's face it, how many VFR pilots ever use a VOR or NDB for navigation if they have a GPS??). Avionics-laf.com advertise the 400W for just under 6400 bucks..

Am I still dreaming?